Skip to main content

State holds job fairs ahead of planned Steward hospital closures in Dorchester, Ayer

This content collected from Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News.

Moving trucks were passing in and out of Carney Hospital in Dorchester Tuesday as the hospital’s planned closure continued to rapidly approach. 

Just days before Carney is scheduled to shut its doors, the state-run MassHire Rapid Response service was holding a job fair for soon-to-be unemployed hospital staff. 

“It’s just kind of coming down to the end,” said Carney employee Alyssa Bartholomew. 

“When I walked in the hospital today, it was just totally empty,” she continued. “It was eerie a little bit.” 

Carney was founded in 1863 and is currently owned by Steward Health Care. 

Mired in financial troubles, Steward declared bankruptcy earlier this year. Steward said it tried to sell its portfolio of Massachusetts hospitals but was unable to find a qualified buyer for Carney or Nashoba Valley Medical Center in Ayer. 

As a result, Steward said it would close both facilities by the end of this month. 

News of upcoming hospital closures sparked outrage from patients, public officials, union leaders, and hospital workers. 

Critics voiced new condemnation of Steward’s leadership while sounding the alarm about longer trips to hospitals and an increased strain on hospitals serving people in the Boston area and central Massachusetts. 

Many organized protests, with hundreds of people forming a human chain around Nashoba Valley on Monday in an effort to emphasize the hospital’s role in the community. 

With Steward pressing ahead on plans to close Carney and Nashoba Valley, though, employees at Carney said they were concerned. 

“A lot of our colleagues are older and it’s harder to find a job when you’re older,” said Narkeya Washington. 

Washington was at Tuesday’s MassHire job fair. With more than 30 employers taking part in the event, Washington said the offering was “very helpful.” 

“I ended up finding something that’s going to pay me way more than what I was working here,” she said. 

MassHire held another job fair at Nashoba Valley Tuesday to help employees at that facility.

In addition to Carney and Nashoba Valley, Steward owns six operational hospitals elsewhere in Massachusetts. 

Gov. Maura Healey on Aug. 16 announced deals were in place for Steward to sell five of its hospitals to buyers including Boston Medical Center, Lawrence General Hospital, and Lifespan.

Healey said the state would seize the land under St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Brighton by eminent domain and also facilitate selling that hospital to Boston Medical Center. 

Though Healey outlined the deals, the federal bankruptcy court overseeing Steward’s case still needs to grant its approval for the deals to move forward. 

The court has scheduled a series of hearings to consider the matter. In each case, though, the State House News Service reported Steward postponed the hearings. 

In its latest filing, Steward said sale hearing had been unilaterally adjourned until Sept. 4. 


Bangla Zoom is most popular bangladeshi website. We are working with bengali news, english news headlines, bangla blog tips, bangla health tips, entertainmnet and more bangla helpful tips.
from Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News
Source: https://whdh.com/news/state-holds-job-fairs-ahead-of-planned-steward-hospital-closures-in-dorchester-ayer/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virginia family gets keys to Habitat for Humanity’s first 3D-printed home in the US

(CNN) — One Virginia family received the keys to their new  3D-printed home  in time for Christmas. The home is Habitat for Humanity’s first 3D-printed home in the nation,  according to a Habitat news release. Janet V. Green, CEO of Habitat for Humanity Peninsula and Greater Williamsburg, told CNN it partnered with Alquist, a 3D printing company, earlier this year to begin the process. The 1,200-square-foot home has three bedrooms, two full baths and was built from concrete. The technology allowed the home to be built in just 12 hours, which saves about four weeks of construction time for a typical home. April Stringfield purchased the home through the  Habitat Homebuyer Program . She will move in with her 13-year-old son just in time for the holidays. “My son and I are so thankful,” Stringfield said in a  live feed streamed on Habitat’s Facebook  page. “I always wanted to be a homeowner. It’s like a dream come true.” To purchase the home, Stringfiel...

Lawsuit: High school football player says coaches forced him to eat pizza as punishment, violating religious beliefs

CANTON, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio high school football player who says coaches forced him to eat a pizza covered with pepperoni grease in violation of his religious beliefs is suing his former district and the ousted coaches. The former Canton McKinley High School athlete and his parents filed a federal civil rights suit this week seeking millions of dollars in damages and alleging violations of his religious freedom and constitutional rights. The athlete says in the lawsuit that coaches were notified he doesn’t eat pork or pork residue as a member of the Hebrew Israelite religious faith, but that they ordered him to eat the pizza as punishment for missing an offseason workout — and indicated his spot on the team was at risk if he didn’t. The coaches say the player chose to remove pepperoni and eat the pizza rather than an alternative food. They weren’t aware it violated his religious beliefs, according to a  defamation case they filed  previously against the teen’s father, his a...

After court victories, Michael Jackson estate eyes revival

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Michael Jackson’s musical legacy never left, but a kind of comeback is coming. With a series of court victories that bring the end to serious legal crises, with a Broadway show beginning and a Cirque du Soleil show returning after a long pandemic pause, the Jackson business is on the upswing 12 years after the pop superstar’s death. Very recently, things looked grim. The 2019 HBO documentary “  Leaving Neverland  ” raised child molestation allegations anew. The once-dead lawsuits brought by the two men featured in it had been  revived  by changes in the law. And a decision in the estate’s appeal of a $700 million tax bill was taking years to arrive. “I was always optimistic,” John Branca, the entertainment attorney who worked with Jackson through many of his biggest triumphs and now serves as co-executor of his estate, told The Associated Press in an interview at his Beverly Hills home. “Michael inspired the planet and his music still ...