Skip to main content

‘Logistical nightmare’: Mass. Teachers Association blasts Baker’s post-holiday testing plan for educators

This content collected from Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News.

Expressing great concern over the sharp spike in COVID-19 cases driven by the highly contagious omicron variant, the Massachusetts Teachers Association blasted Gov. Charlie Baker’s post-holiday testing plan for educators, calling it a “logistical nightmare.”

Baker and Education Commissioner Jeffrey Riley on Wednesday announced the state had purchased 200,000 at-home testing kits that will be distributed to school districts throughout the state so teachers and staff can test for COVID-19 before they return to work after the holiday break.

In a statement issued Thursday, MTA President Merrie Najimy said the plan lacks a systematic, inclusive, and comprehensive approach to protecting public health and that it jeopardizes educators’ attempts to maintain safe in-person learning as schools reopen.

“This decision, made without consultation with educators’ unions and local stakeholders, is one more example of the failure of the Baker administration to get it right. Plans for testing of this magnitude should have been communicated well in advance of schools closing for the winter break,” Najimy said. “Baker and Riley have created a logistical nightmare all the way from distribution to testing oversight, placing the burden on school staff — particularly school nurses, who are already stretched beyond their capacity.”

Najimy added that Riley’s “incompetence” leaves school districts no time to develop a contingency plan if there is a local COVID-19 outbreak.

The state has said that tests are not required to return to school.

“If testing is going to be successful, the Baker administration must immediately create a much broader distribution mechanism and provide the proper staffing to ensure that the tests are being used,” Najimy said. “We are tired of Band-Aid approaches from Baker and Riley when it comes to facing the biggest public health threat of our time.”

Najimy also said the state needs to begin showing more flexibility in the event in-person learning is temporarily deemed too risky.

Last week, the state distributed more than six million KN95 masks to schools for employees.


Bangla Zoom is most popular bangladeshi website. We are working with bengali news, english news headlines, bangla blog tips, bangla health tips, entertainmnet and more bangla helpful tips.
from Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News
Source: https://whdh.com/news/logistical-nightmare-mass-teachers-association-blasts-bakers-post-holiday-testing-plan-for-educators/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virginia family gets keys to Habitat for Humanity’s first 3D-printed home in the US

(CNN) — One Virginia family received the keys to their new  3D-printed home  in time for Christmas. The home is Habitat for Humanity’s first 3D-printed home in the nation,  according to a Habitat news release. Janet V. Green, CEO of Habitat for Humanity Peninsula and Greater Williamsburg, told CNN it partnered with Alquist, a 3D printing company, earlier this year to begin the process. The 1,200-square-foot home has three bedrooms, two full baths and was built from concrete. The technology allowed the home to be built in just 12 hours, which saves about four weeks of construction time for a typical home. April Stringfield purchased the home through the  Habitat Homebuyer Program . She will move in with her 13-year-old son just in time for the holidays. “My son and I are so thankful,” Stringfield said in a  live feed streamed on Habitat’s Facebook  page. “I always wanted to be a homeowner. It’s like a dream come true.” To purchase the home, Stringfiel...

Lawsuit: High school football player says coaches forced him to eat pizza as punishment, violating religious beliefs

CANTON, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio high school football player who says coaches forced him to eat a pizza covered with pepperoni grease in violation of his religious beliefs is suing his former district and the ousted coaches. The former Canton McKinley High School athlete and his parents filed a federal civil rights suit this week seeking millions of dollars in damages and alleging violations of his religious freedom and constitutional rights. The athlete says in the lawsuit that coaches were notified he doesn’t eat pork or pork residue as a member of the Hebrew Israelite religious faith, but that they ordered him to eat the pizza as punishment for missing an offseason workout — and indicated his spot on the team was at risk if he didn’t. The coaches say the player chose to remove pepperoni and eat the pizza rather than an alternative food. They weren’t aware it violated his religious beliefs, according to a  defamation case they filed  previously against the teen’s father, his a...

After court victories, Michael Jackson estate eyes revival

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Michael Jackson’s musical legacy never left, but a kind of comeback is coming. With a series of court victories that bring the end to serious legal crises, with a Broadway show beginning and a Cirque du Soleil show returning after a long pandemic pause, the Jackson business is on the upswing 12 years after the pop superstar’s death. Very recently, things looked grim. The 2019 HBO documentary “  Leaving Neverland  ” raised child molestation allegations anew. The once-dead lawsuits brought by the two men featured in it had been  revived  by changes in the law. And a decision in the estate’s appeal of a $700 million tax bill was taking years to arrive. “I was always optimistic,” John Branca, the entertainment attorney who worked with Jackson through many of his biggest triumphs and now serves as co-executor of his estate, told The Associated Press in an interview at his Beverly Hills home. “Michael inspired the planet and his music still ...