Skip to main content

Father of missing backpacker Amelia Bambridge fears she’s been kidnapped

(CNN) — The father of a 21-year-old British woman who disappeared after a beach party on a Cambodian island fears she has been kidnapped.

Amelia Bambridge was last seen on Police Beach on Koh Rong island in the early hours of Thursday. An extensive search has been launched, with her family arriving in Cambodia to help with the investigation.

“I don’t think she’s had an accident,” father Phil Bambridge told the UK’s Sky News. “If she’d had an accident, she would have been found by now.”

More than 100 police officers and volunteers have been deployed to assist with the search, Lt. Gen. Salideth Peuo of the Cambodian National Police told CNN.

Bambridge, from Worthing, West Sussex, had gone to the party on Wednesday, according to the Lucie Blackman Trust, a charity that highlights the plight of missing or jailed British travelers abroad. She was staying at a nearby hostel.

But when she failed to check out of Nest Beach Club, the manager contacted Bambridge’s mother, according to Britain’s PA. Her handbag — containing her wallet, phone and bank cards — was discovered on a nearby beach, and her passport was found at the hostel, according to PA.

In a Facebook post Tuesday, Georgie Bambridge said her sister had spent two years planning her solo trip to Cambodia.

A spokesperson for the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed to CNN that it was providing consular assistance to Bambridge’s family. The British Embassy in Phnom Penh said it was working closely with the Cambodian police.

The Lucie Blackman Trust has issued an appeal for information about the backpacker, adding that there were “serious concerns” for her welfare. The charity is encouraging anyone with information about her whereabouts to call +44800 098 8485, or to email ops@lbtrust.org.


from Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News
Source: https://ift.tt/2WtBV7x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virginia family gets keys to Habitat for Humanity’s first 3D-printed home in the US

(CNN) — One Virginia family received the keys to their new  3D-printed home  in time for Christmas. The home is Habitat for Humanity’s first 3D-printed home in the nation,  according to a Habitat news release. Janet V. Green, CEO of Habitat for Humanity Peninsula and Greater Williamsburg, told CNN it partnered with Alquist, a 3D printing company, earlier this year to begin the process. The 1,200-square-foot home has three bedrooms, two full baths and was built from concrete. The technology allowed the home to be built in just 12 hours, which saves about four weeks of construction time for a typical home. April Stringfield purchased the home through the  Habitat Homebuyer Program . She will move in with her 13-year-old son just in time for the holidays. “My son and I are so thankful,” Stringfield said in a  live feed streamed on Habitat’s Facebook  page. “I always wanted to be a homeowner. It’s like a dream come true.” To purchase the home, Stringfiel...

Lawsuit: High school football player says coaches forced him to eat pizza as punishment, violating religious beliefs

CANTON, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio high school football player who says coaches forced him to eat a pizza covered with pepperoni grease in violation of his religious beliefs is suing his former district and the ousted coaches. The former Canton McKinley High School athlete and his parents filed a federal civil rights suit this week seeking millions of dollars in damages and alleging violations of his religious freedom and constitutional rights. The athlete says in the lawsuit that coaches were notified he doesn’t eat pork or pork residue as a member of the Hebrew Israelite religious faith, but that they ordered him to eat the pizza as punishment for missing an offseason workout — and indicated his spot on the team was at risk if he didn’t. The coaches say the player chose to remove pepperoni and eat the pizza rather than an alternative food. They weren’t aware it violated his religious beliefs, according to a  defamation case they filed  previously against the teen’s father, his a...

After court victories, Michael Jackson estate eyes revival

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Michael Jackson’s musical legacy never left, but a kind of comeback is coming. With a series of court victories that bring the end to serious legal crises, with a Broadway show beginning and a Cirque du Soleil show returning after a long pandemic pause, the Jackson business is on the upswing 12 years after the pop superstar’s death. Very recently, things looked grim. The 2019 HBO documentary “  Leaving Neverland  ” raised child molestation allegations anew. The once-dead lawsuits brought by the two men featured in it had been  revived  by changes in the law. And a decision in the estate’s appeal of a $700 million tax bill was taking years to arrive. “I was always optimistic,” John Branca, the entertainment attorney who worked with Jackson through many of his biggest triumphs and now serves as co-executor of his estate, told The Associated Press in an interview at his Beverly Hills home. “Michael inspired the planet and his music still ...